The history of tattoo shops in Maine is old. It started in 1925 with the “Electrical Tattooing” shop of Peter D. Jongeleen. Maine in the USA was once famous for sailors, outlaws, and pirates. Bangor, Portland, Sanford, Westbrook, Scarborough, Lincoln, Holden, Augusta, Madison, etc., have the best tattoo studios in Maine.
It has a significant influence on the popularity of tattooing in Maine. Today at least one out of five people here have a tattoo on their bodies. There are more than 200 licensed tattoo parlors in Maine. Choose from any of these parlors to get a good tattoo done on your body.
The tattoo parlors here follow strict hygiene and use only sterilized needles to draw. After-care services are offered in most parlors here, and You need to have Id proof at that time. Most parlors encourage walk-in customers. But it is best to get an appointment first. You can have time to discuss the tattoo designs before starting. a
As per the Law, the tattoo parlors of Maine do serve only adults. People under the age of 18 are prohibited.
List of 30 Top-Rated Tattoo Places in Maine
1. Diversified Ink Tattoo Company – Bangor, Maine
Diversified Ink Tattoo Company is home to 7 seven talented realism tattoo artists. Ed Sheffer opened up this place almost 20 years ago. For ten years, this place has held the title of the best tattoo parlor in Bangor, Maine.
They offer a diverse range of designs like tribal designs, Japanese designs, horror movie-based ones, and more super-realistic ones. The logo of this place features the famous Paul Bunyan of the legends.
Jason Drake, Harley Gray, Madison Coffin, Olivia LaPlante, Elizabeth Exley, Andrew Crane, Ryan Robinson, and Abby Rosiak are the artists working here. Among them, Abby Rosiak is one of New England’s most famous tattoo artists. The place is hygienic and offers after-care instructions.
- Hours: Monday-Sunday from 10:00 am to 05:00 pm
- Contact: (207) 947-7238
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Discovery Museum and Cascade Park
Address: 51 Washington Street, Bangor, Maine 04401
2. Tsunami Tattoo Shop – Portland, Maine
Tsunami Tattoo is undoubtedly one of the best tattoo parlors in Portland and Maine. Phuc Tran and his wife, Sue Tran, settled in Portland and opened this parlor in 2003. They aim to give the best experience to their clients with excellent customer service.
The parlor has a comfortable and peaceful environment. Their expert artists work on a vast range of designs. Starting from basic black and grey designs to tribal and Japanese colorful designs.
Phuc Tran has some of Main’s most famous tattoo artists on his team. Like Cyndi Lou, Sean Shea, Matt Dunn, Jennifer Simpson Phuc, and Sue Tran. Tsunami Tattoo Parlor upholds Maine’s tagline “The Way Life Should Be.” They have the best tattoo artists in the entire New England.
- Hours: Monday-Sunday from 11:00 am to 06:00 pm
- Contact: +1 207-756-6766
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and Fort Allen Park
Address: 583 Forest Avenue, Portland, Maine 04101
3. Dark Harbor Tattoo – Exchange St, Portland, ME
The Dark Harbor Tattoo has been in the most famous Portland neighborhood since 2018. The owners of this tattoo and body piercing studio are Steve and Jess Marzza. Together with a group of well-known and diverse tattoo artists, they offer different types of tattoos. Designs range from basic to super realistic, as per the client’s choice.
Interested people have to get an appointment to get a tattoo here. There are private rooms and an inviting gallery space. Many talented tattoo artists, like Tony Baris, Shayna Blumert, Shelby Stevens, James Amsden, Olivia Clay, and many more, work here. The parlor also provides after-care instructions.
They have a second location in South Portland. Shelby and James work in south Portland with Steve Marzza.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 07:00 pm and Sunday from 11:00 am to 06:00 pm
- Contact: +1 207-956-7145
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Museum of Art and Fort Williams Park
Address: 39 Exchange St, Portland, ME 04101, United States
4. Sanctuary Tattoo Shops & Gallery – Portland, Maine
Sanctuary Tattoo is one of the oldest tattoo parlors in Maine. With an experience of over 20 years, the artists here can work on almost every design. They are super friendly and can work on designs provided by their clients. The intriguing interior makes the place perfect for getting a tattoo.
Tattoo artists Ryan Fleming and Aron Burns opened this tattoo parlor in Maine in 1999. Guest artists like Adam Paterson use this parlor from time to time. People can also book an appointment with him.
- Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, 11 am to 6 pm, by appointment. Closed on Sunday & Monday.
- Contact: 207-828-8866
- Nearby Attractions: Gateway Discovery Park and The Historic Belmont Firehouse
Address: 1041 Brighton Avenue, Portland, ME 04102
5. Birds & Bones Tattoo Studio And Art Gallery – Bangor, ME
Birds & Bones Tattoo Studio is considered one of the best tattoo parlors in Bangor. It’s a high-class workplace for creative tattoo artists. Fans and artists like to define this place as a space to blend traditional tattoo art with modern innovations. Artists working here believe that a comfortable space is perfect for bonding with their clients and discussing designs to work on.
Birds & Bones Tattoo Studio and Art Gallery crew have Hailee Winter and Siobhan Gildea, both famous tattoo artists in Maine. They provide thorough after-care services based on the type of tattoo they have worked on. Undoubtedly, this is one of the best tattoo parlors in Maine to get your body painted.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 10:00 am to 06:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: +1 207-573-1198
- Nearby Attractions: Paul Bunyan Statue and Bangor City Forest
Address: 34 Main Street, Bangor, ME, 04401
6. Venom Ink Tattoo – Sanford, Maine
Venom Ink Tattoo is one of Maine’s finest tattoo and body piercing studios. Chad Chase and his wife Kelly started this tattoo parlor in Sanford in 1996. Besides complex designs, portraits, and modern pop culture, artists are especially known for colored tattoos. The after-care service here is outstanding.
Tattoo artists like Zach McDougall, Teresa Andrews, Joshua Anderson, and Kyle create their masterpieces here. Famous dark art artist Zach Dunn will teach in a dark art workshop. His renowned art pieces will be on display.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 06:00 pm and closed on Sunday
- Contact: 207-206-1828
- Nearby Attractions: Children’s Museum of New Hampshire and Gowen Park
Address: 751 Main St, Sanford, ME 04073, United States
7. Death Or Glory Tattoo – Westbrook, Maine
Death or Glory Tattoo Parlor in Westbrook started its journey in 2006. Owner James Hodgdon is famous for the traditional American influence in his tattoos. Besides this, he also offers various designs with different color blending. Clients love his artwork. Just a few minutes from Portland, this place is a must-visit place for any tattoo lover.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 07:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: (207) 856-5552
- Nearby Attractions: Deering Oaks and Maine Escape Games
Address: 415 Main St B, Westbrook, ME 04092, United States
8. Forecastle Tattoo – Bangor, Maine
Forecastle Tattoo Parlor in Bangor is a proud establishment of Sam Wood, started in 2013. This parlor has been considered the epitome of customer service and artist-client bonding in the world of tattoo Art. Sam Wood currently focuses on Black and Grey colors for his designs. His favorite designs are pin-ups, pulp art, hot rod, machinery, art nouveau, aircraft, and rockets.
Fantasy art designs are also done in the Forecastle Tattoo parlor. Tattoo artists like Jay Cochran and Tori Elyce share this parlor as their workspace.
- Hours: By appointment only
- Contact: (207) 600-2442
- Nearby Attractions: Orono Bog Boardwalk and Cole Land Transportation Museum
Address: 60 May St, Bangor, ME 04401, United States
9. Hallowed Ground Body Art Studio – Portland, Maine
This tattoo studio is situated in the historic art district of Portland opposite the State Theatre. This place is famous for black and grey designs, Americana, outstanding works, and traditional Japanese designs.
Pete Lavigne, Matt Ahlsen, and Reuben Little own the “Hallowed Ground Tattoo” studio. This tattoo parlor in Maine is famous among its clients for ethnic designs and after-care services.
- Contact: +1 207-805-1702
- Nearby Attractions: Monument Square and Portland Waterfront Historic District
Address: 646 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101, United States
10. The Eye of Henna & 13 Moons Tattoo Studio – Portland, ME
This tattoo parlor in Portland is one of a kind. Besides permanent tattoos, owner Mary Dunham offers microblading or cosmetic tattooing, like recreating the eyebrows. Henna designs, or the art of temporary tattooing with Mehendi, are the most popular here.
This place is the best choice for skin-friendly, non-invasive temporary tattooing. This unusual tattoo shop in Maine is gaining popularity every day. Mary is happy to work with pregnant women and cancer patients. Reiki classes are also organized here. The place is only 2 minutes away from the Portland Museum of Art.
- Hours: Tuesday and Friday from 11:00 am to 05:00 pm, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 09:00 am to 05:00 pm, closed on Sunday-Monday.
- Contact: +1 207-761-0636
- Nearby Attractions: The Escape Room and Visit Portland, Maine Information Center
Address: 142 High St #418, Portland, ME 04101, United States
11. Fortune Teller Tattoo – Portland, Maine
Fortune Teller Tattoo is one of the most popular Tattoo studios in Portland. This place is home to some of the best tattoo artists in Maine. They like to work with their clients to finalize designs as per their choice.
Starting with basic designs and black and grey scales, they are experts in colored tattoos, complex tribal, and other tattoo designs. Tattoo artists like Ivan Hess, Laura Cui, Alex Passapera, Yennika Ekstrand, Erin Mealing, Doug Von Werrsowetz, and Alicia Dutremble work here.
- Hours: Monday-Sunday from 11:00 am to 05:00 pm
- Contact: +1 207-299-2440
- Nearby Attractions: Peppermint Park and Maine Jewish Museum
Address: 82 Hanover St, Suite 1, Portland, ME 04101, United States
12. Broken Crow Collective Tattoo Shop – Portland, ME
Broken Crow Collective is situated at Hay’s building in the Art District of Portland. There is an art gallery, event gathering Hub, and a tattoo shop on the premises. This place is well known for its high sanitary standards and bright interior with talented tattoo artists.
Clients of this tattoo parlor in Portland are satisfied with the after-care services and attention they get from the artists. Artists like Doug Landry, Mark Richards II, Tyler Grenzback, Kyle Becker, Josh Hebert, Bradley Wooten, and Nick Patton work here.
- Hours: Monday-Sunday from 12:00 pm to 06:00 pm
- Contact: +1 207-536-0924
- Nearby Attractions: Casco Bay Lines and Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum
Address: 594 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101, United States
13. DNA Tattoo – Lincoln, Maine
The DNA Tattoo parlor is one of Lincoln’s most famous tattoo parlors. Many talented artists of Lincoln work here. They are experts in designs like black and grey, Americana, tribals, and colored tattoos.
The tattoo shop is located in one of the busiest parts of the city. People love visiting this tattoo parlor for basic black and grey tattoos.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 12:00 pm to 06:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: +1 207-447-8365
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Head Light and Prince Thomas Park
Address: 24 E Broadway, Lincoln, ME 04457, United States
14. Nuclear Tattoo – Holden, Maine
Nuclear Tattoo Parlor in Holden started its journey in 2007. Talented artists like Brook Duperry have served in extensively different parts of Maine. Brook likes to work with her clients individually to create personalized tattoos. Their specialization is watercolor tattoos. Clients get satisfactory results here, whether it’s an old tattoo revival or a new one.
- Hours: Tuesday-Friday from 09:00 am to 04:00 pm and closed on Saturday-Monday
- Nearby Attractions: Heritage Park and Fernald’s Neck Preserve
Address: 62 Charles Dr, Holden, ME 04429, USA
15. True North Tattoo & Piercing Shop – Augusta, ME
True North Tattoo & Piercing Shop is located in downtown Augusta’s historical part. It’s one of the most popular and hygienic tattoo parlors in Augusta. They offer customized services to every client.
For piercing, they offer 14k gold and Titanium ornaments. Artists like Garreth, Garth, and Kobeigh and piercing artist Angelina work in this parlor. Garreth is the owner of this parlor.
- Hours: Monday-Sunday from 10:00 am to 08:00 pm
- Contact: 1 (207) 621-9900
- Nearby Attractions: Capitol Park and Viles Arboretum
Address: 161 Water St, Augusta, ME 04330, United States
16. Very Sick Tattoos – Madison, Maine
Very Sick Tattoos Parlor in Madison is popular among their clients. Whether an old tattoo revival or designing a new one, they offer their best customer support to every client. Besides grey and black tattoos, they offer designs on tribal, haunting tattoo designs and colored tattoo designs.
- Hours: Tuesday and Sunday from 12:00 pm to 06:00 pm, Wednesday-Saturday from 12:00 pm to 10:00 pm, closed on Monday
- Contact: 1 (207) 779-5599
- Nearby Attractions: Skowhegan History House Museum & Research Center and Skowhegan Indian
Address: 30 Main St, Madison, ME 04950, United States
17. Atlantic Studio – Rockland, Maine
Atlantic Studio is one of the most popular tattoo parlors in Rockland. With talented artists, the parlor offers customized tattoos for every client. Starting from basic designs, black & gray tattoos, and colored ones, they offer designs on tribal and Japanese designs, practical and super-realistic ones. Seth Mathieu, Chris Bastey, and Ryan Rogers share this workspace for tattoo designing.
- Hours: Tuesday-Sunday from 12:00 pm to 07:00 pm
- Contact: 1 (207) 594-2807
- Nearby Attractions: Sail Power & Steam Museum and Knox Museum – Montpelier
Address: 65 Park St, Rockland, ME 04841, United States
18. Black Element Tattoo – Brunswick, Maine
Black Element Tattoo Parlor in Brunswick is best known for its black and grey tattoos. Artist Chris Chubbuck is known for his attention to detailed designs of tattoos. He works on different designs like colored tattoos, haunting designs, tribal tattoos, and colored ones. It’s one of the most popular tattoo parlors in Maine.
- Hours: Wednesday-Saturday from 12:00 pm to 06:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Tuesday
- Contact: 1 (207) 844-8386
- Nearby Attractions: Androscoggin Swinging Bridge and Bowdoin College Museum of Art
Address: 25 Stanwood St, Brunswick, ME 04011, United States
19. Mad Hatter’s Tattoo Studio – Old Orchard Beach, ME
Mad Hatter’s Tattoo Studio is one of the oldest tattoo parlors in Maine. It was established in 1974 in Old Orchard Beach. Artists working here have more than 25 years of experience.
They offer customized tattoo designs and after-care services for every customer. Clients love to visit this tattoo shop in Maine to visit the history of tattoos in Maine.
- Contact: (207) 934-4090
- Nearby Attractions: Funtown Splashtown USA and Palace Playland
Address: 50 Old Orchard St, Old Orchard Beach, ME 04064, United States
20. Cold Heart Tattoo Company – Windham, Maine
Cold Heart Tattoo Company in Windham is famous for its relaxing interior and super-friendly crew of tattoo artists. Clients will always get satisfactory results, whether it’s an old tattoo revival or creating a new fantasy creature.
Artist and owner Leon Rideout is an expert in black and grey designs and tribal and colored tattoos.
- Contact: (207) 318-8534
- Nearby Attractions: Seacoast Adventure and Portland Head Light
Address: 734 Roosevelt Trail, Windham, ME 04062, United States
21. Leviathan Tattoo – Scarborough, Maine
Leviathan Tattoo Parlor in Scarborough is quite popular among tattoo enthusiasts. People enjoy the relaxing environment and professional approach of the artists working in this parlor.
Artists like Bill Holmes work in this parlor. Whether it’s a basic black or grey design or a realistic colored tattoo, they are experts in all designs. The place is hygienic and offers after-care instructions, and the owner is Jason Chapman.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 06:00 pm and Sunday from 11:00 am to 05:00 pm
- Contact: (207) 883-1151
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Museum of Art and Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine
Address: 582 UNIT A, US-1, Scarborough, ME 04074, United States
22. North Coast Tattoo Company – Scarborough, Maine
North Coast Tattoo Company is a creative tattoo parlor in Scarborough. The beautiful waiting lounge of the shop is a perfect showcase of the masterpieces created here by some of the most talented tattoo artists in Maine. Cindy Bonet, Frank Erwin, and Alby Davila work here. They are experts in every style of body inking.
For the best experience, a consulting appointment with the artist is recommended here. This way, customers can choose their tattoos, and the artist can understand their requirements. The parlor provides excellent aftercare service with follow-ups and guidelines.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 06:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: +1 207-219-8919
- Nearby Attractions: Memorial Park, Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park
Address: 152 US Route 1, Suite 15, Scarborough, ME 04074
23. Pins And Needles Tattoo – Portland, Maine
Pins and Needles Tattoo Parlor in Portland is considered one of the best tattoo parlors in Maine. Artists like Big Mike, Dezi, and Jimmy use this workspace to create masterpieces.
They offer designs like black and greyscale, fantasy beasts, tribal designs, and many more. This tattoo shop in Maine is famous for its tribal black and grey designs. They also work on customized designs based on their client’s requirements. Body piercing is done on selective days.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday from 01:00 pm to 08:00 pm and Sunday from 12:00 pm to 05:00 pm
- Contact: +1 207-774-8282
- Nearby Attractions: Fort Allen Park and Monument Square
Address: 259 St John St, Portland, ME 04101, United States
24. Siren Song Tattoo – Thomaston, Maine
Siren Song Tattoo Parlor is one of Maine’s most trendy tattoo parlors. Initially, they started their journey from Rockland. Recently, they have moved into Thomaston. The parlor is more than a decade old. Artists like Cody and Justin share this parlor as their workspace. They work on customized designs based on their client’s imagination.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 12:00 pm to 06:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: +1 207-593-8673
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Lighthouse Museum and Harbor Park
Address: 10 Moody Dr, Thomaston, ME 04861, United States
25. Skull And Snake Tattoo Studio Art Gallery – North Berwick, ME
The Skull and Snake Tattoo Studio and Art Gallery in North Berwick are meant for artists to work and showcase their art forms. Five ingenious tattoo artists, Dan Kelley, Elizabeth Kelley (female tattoo artists), and Mac Brooks, work here. They can work on any design provided by their clients.
Most designs they showcase are based on fantasy. The studio also hosts art shows of national and international artists and painting classes for locals.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 05:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: +1 207-337-5166
- Nearby Attractions: Nubble Lighthouse and Wonder Mountain Fun Park
Address: 50 Elm St, North Berwick, ME 03906, United States
26. Halcyon Tattoo – Windham, Maine
Halcyon Tattoo Parlor in Windham is famous for artists working here. Artists like Steve Chambers use this workspace. Artists here provide customized designs for every client. Their most famous works are super-realistic image tattoos for different persons. They work mainly on a black and grey scale. Clients love to come back to this tattoo parlor in Maine for more.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 07:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: +1 207-892-3335
- Nearby Attractions: Seacoast Adventure and Donnabeth Lippman Park
Address: 120 Roosevelt Trail, Windham, ME 04062
Read Best Spas in Maine
27. Gemstone Tattoo – Portland, Maine
A gemstone Tattoo parlor in Portland is nested in the historical building of Baxter Place. The parlor is bright and beautifully decorated. Artist/owner Gemma Astor likes to greet her clients in her calm and peaceful studio and work on their customized designs. Her designs are mostly inspired by nature. This woman-owned tattoo parlor in Portland is among the best places for the LGBT community.
- Contact: (207) 331-7330
- Nearby Attractions: Deering Oaks and Casco Bay Lines
Address: Baxter Place, 305 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101, United States
28. House of Ink – Benton, Maine
House of Ink tattoo parlor in Benton is a professional tattoo and body piercing studio. Whether it’s a cover-up, an old tattoo revival, or making a new one, clients can expect the best care from artists here.
Starting from black and grey tattoos, the artists can draw tribal designs, haunting figures, Nature photos with lots of colors, and super-realistic designs. The best part is that they offer hospital-grade sterilization procedures and excellent after-care services.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday from 10:00 am to 05:00 pm and closed on Sunday-Monday
- Contact: (207) 453-7731
- Nearby Attractions: L.C. Bates Museum and Colby College Museum of Art
Address: Benton Plaza Unit 26, Benton, ME 04901, United States
29. Brass & Briar Studios – Portland, Maine
Brass & Briar Studio in Portland is best known for famous tattoo artists sharing this workspace. This tattoo parlor in Portland is considered one of the best in Maine. Artists like Rebeka Chase, Ethan Bennett, Kara Munro, and Zoe Fox work here.
Rebeka Chase started this studio back in 2017. From black and grey designs, they work on botany, nature-based colorful tattoos, and many more. Clients can also check their tattoo-designed t-shirts.
- Hours: Wednesday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 07:00 pm, Sunday from 12:00 pm to 05:00 pm, and closed Monday
- Contact: (207) 747-5557
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Jewish Museum and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
Address: 132 Spring St, Portland, ME 04101, United States
30. Ink Maine & Gaskyl Productions – Rumford, Maine
Ink Maine & Gaskyl Productions is a joyful place in Rumford. Besides being one of Maine’s most famous tattoo shops, this place is meant for screen printing, tattoo contests, and many more activities.
Clients can check out their merchandise too. Artist/owner Kris Howes trains apprentice artists in this shop. Artists like Jes Roberts, Rhonda Peart, and Gabe Smith also work here.
- Hours: Monday-Thursday from 10:00 am to 05:00 pm and closed on Friday-Sunday
- Contact: (207) 364-1550
- Nearby Attractions: Black Mountain of Maine and Lovejoy Bridge
Address: 58 Congress St, Rumford, ME 04276, United States
Can you get a tattoo at 17 in Maine?
People must have their ID proof to get a tattoo from any tattoo shop in Maine. As per the law of Maine, people under 18 are prohibited from tattoo parlors.
How many tattoo shops are in Maine?
Maine is famous for tattoo parlors. There are more than 200 licensed tattoo parlors in Maine.
What is the most famous tattoo shop?
There are many famous tattoo shops in Maine. Like Dark Harbour Tattoo, Tsunami Tattoo Sanctuary Tattoo Parlor, and many more.
How much do tattoos cost in one hour?
The price depends on the size and complexity of the design, the average time required, and the tattoo parlor itself. For a simple tattoo, which you can complete in a short phase of time, the price is $50-$200. The average price is $132. For a complicated design, which takes an average of 2-6 hours, the price is $200- $600. The average price is $318.
How much do tattoos cost?
The price of a tattoo depends on the parlor, the complexity of the designs, and the period taken to draw it. The price may vary from parlor to parlor.
Find Tattoo Parlors Near You
Tattoos and body piercings are considered a part of the popular culture in Maine. Artists have taken this art to the next level of super-realistic designs. With so many licensed tattoo shops in Maine, this place is perfect for you to get a tattoo.