The Doughnut Shops In Maine are famous for serving donuts with different toppings. Maine has a special connection with fried desserts like Donuts. Most of these shops use original recipes passed through generations.
It is said that a man from Camden, Maine, invented the modern ring-shape of Donuts in 1847. His name was Captain Hanson Gregory. A plaque in Rockport also represents the Ring-shaped dough design of donuts.
Donuts are popular dessert items in the list of the local diet. In Maine, many dessert shops, restaurants, and cafes in every city sell potato donuts, homemade doughnuts, etc.
Wells, Kittery, Scarborough, York, Rockland, Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Auburn, etc., are the best donut places in ME.
National Doughnut Day is celebrated on the first Friday of June each year in the United States and some other countries.
List of 19 Top Donut Stores in Maine
1. Lovebirds Donuts – Kittery, Maine
Lovebirds Donuts in Kittery offers vegan and gluten-free options and regular donuts. Besides the classic donuts, they have strawberry Shortcake, Monkey muffin, Double Chocolate Espresso, and Lovebird Donuts.
Customers love the slow-raising Yeast donuts, which are one of a kind. The chef infuses local cuisine with American and international processes to make unique flavors for every customer. Lovebirds Donuts also has another outlet in Portsmouth. The shop takes bulk orders for weddings and other events.
- Hours: Wednesday- Monday: 07:00 a.m.- 01:00 p.m., Tuesday: Closed
- Contact: (207) 703-2392
- Price: $2.00- $3.75 for regular donuts, $24.00- $32.00 for great big donuts
- Nearby Attractions: Prescott Park, Seacoast Science Center.
- Nearby Parking: Worth Lot, Bridge St.Lot.
- Kittery outlet: 450 US-1, Kittery, ME 03904
- Portsmouth outlet: 33 Vaughan Mall, Portsmouth, NH 03801
2. Congdon’s Doughnuts – Wells, Maine
Congdon’s Doughnuts is one of the oldest bakeries in Maine. Congdon’s Family Restaurant & Bakery started its journey in 1955, intending to serve breakfast anytime. Customers can choose any flavor or taste from the wide variety on the menu card.
The traditional donut recipes used here are family-owned and have stayed the same price from the early days. New gluten-free donuts and pastries are added to the menu for healthy choices. The place also offers credit for every dollar spent here. This way, people can get free food with enough credit points.
Congdon Doughnuts has opened after a Dark truck park service with at least ten food trucks and a large seating area. These trucks offer diverse food options for locals from 04:00 p.m. to 08:00 p.m. It’s a perfect option for live music and family gatherings.
- Hours: Thursday-Sunday: 06:00 a.m.- 02:00 p.m., Monday- Wednesday: closed
- Contact: 207-646-4219
- Price: A single doughnut price starts from $2.32
- Nearby Attractions: Wonder Mountain Fun Park, Brick Store Museum.
- Nearby Parking: Footbridge Beach Parking Lot, Municipal Parking.
Address: 1090 Post Rd. – Route One, Wells, Maine. 04090
3. The Holy Donut – Scarborough / Portland, ME
Leigh Kellis started making donuts in her kitchen and selling them from local coffee shops in 2010. She aimed to provide quality food to locals. Gradually, her sales increased, and she opened her first outlet in Portland with the help of her father.
Leigh uses whole grain and vegan supplements to cook her signature donuts. She also takes large orders for parties and gatherings.
This family-owned shop is one of the best donut shops in Maine. The Holy Donut is famous for its merchandise section, too. People can buy scented candles, wall stickers, household items, t-shirts, coffee packs, hats, and other accessories here.
Today, they have four outlets in Maine. Two outlets in Portland, one in Scarborough and the last in Arundel. It’s one of the Best donut places in Portland, Maine.
- Hours: Monday- Sunday: 06:00 a.m.- 02:00 p.m.
- Contact: 207-303-0137
- Price: The minimum cost of a single donut is $2.80
- Nearby Attractions: FunTown Splashtown USA, Palace Playland.
- Nearby Parking: Milliken St. Parking Lot, 1-39 Center St. Parking
Address: 398 Route 1 Scarborough, ME 04074, 177 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101
4. HiFi Donuts – Portland, Maine
HiFi Donuts is a popular destination for donut lovers in Portland. This donut shop in Maine beholds the age-old donuts recipes to serve freshly fried ones daily. The owners use locally grown ingredients for cooking. Customers love the coffee of Counter Culture available here.
The donuts are primarily fried in animal fat, so people with specific dietary needs should consult with the staff for the best choices. This classic donut shop is also famous for its lunch and breakfast menus. HiFi Donuts take large orders for weddings, birthday parties, and other events. This shop is a wholesaler of different donuts in Portland.
- Hours: Tuesday- Saturday: 06:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m., Sunday: 09:00 a.m.- 02:00 p.m., Monday: closed.
- Contact: (207) 747 5314, [email protected]
- Price: The minimum price starts from $2.75
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, Portland Museum of Art.
- Nearby Parking: 1-39 Center St.Parking, Holiday Inn Portland- By The Bay Parking.
Address: 30 City Center Portland, ME 04101
5. Ruckus Donuts – Rockland, Maine
Ruckus Donuts in Rockland is an all-time favorite of any donut lover in Maine. This shop is best known for customized donuts as per the choice of customers, like “hugs and kisses” for Valentine’s Day festivals. The shop uses fresh local ingredients and recipes to create unique donuts.
The smell of freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked donuts creates an undeniably beautiful interior of this shop. People love their coffee espresso and different beverages accompanied by their signature donuts.
- Hours: Thursday- Sunday: 07:30 a.m.- 11:00 a.m., Monday- Wednesday: closed.
- Contact: (207) 975-4388
- Price: The starting Price of a Donut is $3.00
- Nearby Attractions: Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, Harbor Park.
- Nearby Parking: Custom House Parking Lot, Maine State Ferry Terminal
Address: 377 Main Street, Rockland, Maine 04841
6. Lil’s Cafe – Kittery, Maine
Lil’s Cafe is named after Lilian Mangos. He was a long-time employee of the former owner at one of his other restaurants. This cafe is perfect for travelers, families, and locals to grab a breakfast or lunch. It is housed in a building that was once a bank in the Kittery Foreside.
The place serves fresh donuts (they are crullers) with beverages like tea and coffee. The shop uses fresh local harvests to cook food. For large and customized orders, people must call them before the delivery for details. They don’t typically do delivery. Folks can stop by, call, or email if it’s a large order. Lil’s Cafe is also famous for its artisan breads and pastries.
- Hours: Sunday-Saturday: 07:00 a.m.-03:00 p.m.
- Contact: (207)703-2800, [email protected]
- Price: Crullers are $3.95/each, or a Dozen for $42
- Nearby Attractions: Fort Foster, Nubble Light, USS Albacore, PNSY, Long Sands Beach
- Nearby Parking: There is street parking in Kittery Foreside, less than 5 minutes to walk to Lil’s.
Address: 7 Wallingford Square, #106, Kittery, ME 03904
7. Camden Deli – Camden, Maine
This family-owned restaurant is almost three decades old. Camden Deli is at 37 Maine Street in Camden, overlooking the beautiful Camden Harbor and Harbor Falls. The place is best known for serving fresh breakfast and lunch using local recipes.
The flavors of freshly baked desserts like donuts and bagels refresh the interior. Camden Deli donat shop in Maine is one of the best places to visit for fresh donuts and sweet desserts. The shop offers catering services for occasions and parties.
- Hours: Monday- Sunday: 07:00 a.m.- 07:00 p.m.
- Contact: 207-236-8343, [email protected]
- Price: Donuts here cost $3.99
- Nearby Attractions: Merryspring Nature Center, Camden Hills State Park.
- Nearby Parking: Free Public Parking, Boatramp.
Address: 37 Main St, Camden, ME 04843, United States
8. The Cookie Jar – Cape Elizabeth, Maine
The Cookie Jar at Cape Elizabeth is one of Maine’s oldest pastry and donut shops. It has been there since the 1950s. The Current owners of the shop are Tom and Donna Piscopo. They are the second-generation owners of this shop.
The Piscopos have been using original recipes to make desserts and donuts here. With time, they have added vegan pastry dishes to their menu. The dishes are prepared using local fresh harvests. People love to visit this shop for fresh donuts, cakes, and other pastries.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday: 06:00 a.m.- 05:30 p.m., Sunday: 07:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Monday: Closed
- Contact: 207-799-0671
- Price: The price of a single donut is $2.69
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Head Light, Bug Light.
- Nearby Parking: Public Parking One Hour, Portland Parking Division.
Address: 554 Shore Road, Cape Elizabeth, Maine 04107
9. St. Joe’s Coffee -York, Maine
St. Joe’s Coffee shop in York is perfect for enjoying sweet dishes and beverage drinks. People love beignets or donuts and bagels. The shop changes the drinks menu based on seasons and the availability of ingredients in local markets.
The famous festival “Feast of St. Joseph” inspires the shop. It’s an Italian festival celebrated by eating beignets or donuts on March 19th. The donuts are freshly fried daily, and local ingredients are used for dressing.
St. Joe Coffee is the best place to enjoy summertime drinks in York. They serve cold coffee and healthy fruit smoothies during summertime.
- Hours: Wednesday – Sunday: 07:00 a.m.- 01:00 p.m., Monday & Tuesday: closed
- Contact: [email protected], 207-361-4682
- Price: The minimum price for donuts and bagels is $2.00
- Nearby Attractions: Nubble Lighthouse, York’s Wild Kingdom.
- Nearby Parking: Adams Rd Parking, Highland Farm Reserve Parking Lot.
Address: St. Joe’s Coffee, 449 US Route 1, York, ME 03909
10. Tony’s Donut Shop – Portland, Maine
Tony’s Donut Shop in Portland is a family-owned business. The shop is considered one of the best donut shops in Maine.
Tony’s Donut Shop at 9 Bolton Street is trendy for handmade pastries. The shop uses age-old original recipes to create its signature donuts and desserts. Local fresh harvests are used here to make the donut dressings.
- Hours: Monday: Friday: 05:00 a.m. – 06:00 p.m., Saturday: 05:00 a.m. – 04:00 p.m., Sunday: 05:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.
- Contact: (207) 772-2727
- Price: The price of 6 donuts is $4.25.
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Museum of Art, Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad.
- Nearby Parking: PWM Park And Shine, Mercy Hospital Parking Lot.
Address: 9 Bolton Street, Portland, ME 04102
11. Reilly’s Bakery – Biddeford, Maine
Reilly’s Bakery in Biddeford is quite famous among locals. The smell of freshly baked desserts and cakes attracts everyone to push the doors and enter the magical world of donuts and cakes in the shop. This donut shop is a center of local culture. This shop has been there for more than a century. It’s a fourth-generation bakery serving donuts using generation-old recipes.
The shop is famous for donuts, cakes, and desserts for every occasion and party. It uses fresh local fruits and harvests to prepare signature dishes. Most desserts are prepared using old recipes from the owner’s cookbooks.
- Hours: Wednesday- Saturday: 06:00 a.m.- 01:00 p.m., Sunday- Tuesday: Closed.
- Contact: 207-283-3731, [email protected]
- Price: $1.50 per donut.
- Nearby Attractions: Palace Playland, Seashore Trolley Museum.
- Nearby Parking: Public Parking, Milliken St. Parking.
Address: 232 Main Street, Biddeford, ME, USA.
12. Georgio’s Pizza & Donuts – Auburn, ME
Georgio’s Pizza & Donuts shop in Auburn started its journey in the 1950s. It’s one of Auburn’s most famous pastry sandwich and donut shops. Customers love homemade bread, pizzas, and donuts.
The most popular dishes on the menu are donuts with different toppings, Green Mountain Coffee, and UFO sandwiches. It uses local fresh fruits, vegetables, and other supplies to prepare food.
- Hours: Monday- Sunday: 07:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m.
- Contact: (207) 783-2981
- Price: $2.00 per donut.
- Nearby Attractions: Mount Apatite, Maine Mill
- Nearby Parking: Lincoln Street Parking Garage, Southern Gateway Parking Garage.
Address: 740 Minot Ave., Auburn, ME 04210
13. Gosselin’s Bakery- Bangor, Maine
Gosselin’s Bakery is famous among locals for its delicious donuts and different pastries. The shop takes bulk orders and also delivers customized orders. It has become an integral part of the local culture of Bangor.
The shop has been running successfully for more than 70 years. The owner of this donut shop is Yvette Gosselin Stewart. Gosselin’s Bakery in Bangor uses original family recipes for donuts and pastries. Local fresh harvests are used to prepare pastries suited for every occasion.
- Hours: Monday- Saturday: 06:00 a.m.- 11:00 p.m.
- Contact: 207-947-5600
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Discovery Museum.
- Nearby Parking: Pickering Square Parking Garage, Republic Parking.
Address: 334 Harlow St, Bangor, ME 04401, United States
14. Eighty 8 Donuts – Portland, ME
Eighty8 Donuts is a popular destination for dessert lovers in Portland. The shop has another outlet in Carrabassett Valley. The place is famous for tasty donuts and other pastries.
The cafe hosts pet adoption and clothes selling for locals. The donut box of Eighty8 donuts contains cinnamon, sugar dipped, honey, lemon, Maine Maple chocolate, and classic donuts.
Beautiful wall paintings, music, and the smell of fresh cakes and baked desserts accompany the beautiful interior. The combo packs of donuts hold half a dozen donuts. Donut carts of Eighty* Donuts roam around the city. People can also buy from there.
- Hours: Monday- Friday: 08:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m., Saturday: 09:00 a.m.-04:00 p.m., Sunday: 09:00 a.m.- 03:00 p.m.
- Contact: 207-805-0488, [email protected]
- Nearby Attractions: Stanley Museum, Maine Forestry Museum.
- Nearby Parking: Airport Parking, Carrabassett Dr. Parking.
Address: 225 Federal St, Portland, ME 04101
15. Sadie’s Bakery – Houlton, ME
Sadie’s Bakery is a hidden gem in the streets of Houlton. It’s one of the oldest bakeries in Maine. Since 1948, this shop has served delicious donuts and pastries to locals. The place is famous among locals for its fresh donuts and pastries.
The owners use original recipes to create handmade fresh donuts every day. It’s a family-owned business. They use fresh harvests for their baking. This Bakery in Maine is one of the most visited places in Houlton.
- Hours: Tuesday- Saturday: 06:30 a.m.- 01:30 p.m., Sunday: 06:30 a.m.- 11:00 a.m., Monday & Sunday: Closed.
- Contact: 207-532-6650
- Price: $5.95 for six donuts
- Nearby Attractions: World’s Longest Covered Bridge, Hartland Covered Bridge.
- Nearby Parking: Public Works Department Garage, North Road Self-Storage
Address: 5 Water St, Houlton, ME 04730, United States
16. Rose Cottage Bakery – Camden, ME
Rosa Cottage Bakery is a popular weekend shopping destination in Camden. The baker lady opens her shop every Saturday to sell her signature donuts, pastries, cakes, bread, and cinnamon rolls.
It’s like a picnic for locals of the neighborhood. People enjoy their desserts on the lawn in the open sun, and children play around the shop. It’s like enjoying fresh lobster on the seashore for locals. The raisin-baked donuts and sparkle donuts are famous here. The shop never uses preservatives or fillers for their dishes.
- Hours: Saturday- 09:00 a.m.- 01:00 p.m., Closed on other days.
- Contact: 207-323-5793, [email protected]
- Price: $2.00 per donut
- Nearby Attractions: Merryspring Nature Center, Camden Hills State Park.
- Nearby Parking: Free Public Parking, Camden Town Parking.
Address: 36 Limerock St, Camden, ME 04843, United States
17. Village Donut Shop & Bakery – Raymond, ME
Village Donut Shop & Bakery is one of the hidden gems of Maine. The place serves hot pastries and donuts every day. They use organic and freshly-grained grains for their Bakery. No preservatives and fillers are used in donuts.
People love the Bakery. The place takes bulk orders for different occasions. Customized order is also encouraged here.
- Hours: Monday- Sunday: 05:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
- Contact: 207-655-4444
- Price: Donuts and loaves of bread cost $4.40
- Nearby Attractions: Hacker’s Hill Preserve, Seacoast Adventure.
- Nearby Parking: Casco Park & Ride, Raymond Community Forest Parking.
Address: 1246 Roosevelt Trail, Raymond, ME 04071, United States
18. The Donut Grove – Orono, Maine
The Donut GroVe in Orono is one of Maine’s best vegan bakery shops. The owners use 100% vegan ingredients to prepare the delicious donuts. Their new storefront will be take-out with a small dine-in area. Pre-orders for special occasions are also an option.
Locals of the neighborhood enjoy their weekends in the shop with signature vegan donuts and fun parties. They use almond milk, sugar, and organic flour as the base of their donuts. To fry them, they use canola oil.
The Donut GroVe has graduated from selling at Farmer’s Markets and renting commercial kitchen space to opening its flagship location in Orono, next to The University of Maine.
- Hours: Saturday & Sunday: 08:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
- Contact: [email protected]
- Price: The donuts (100% vegan) go for $3-$4.50; they also do mini donuts for $2/each (minimum 12) for special events.
- Nearby Attractions: University of Maine
- Nearby Parking: The Local store’s parking lot
Address: 153 Park Street, Suite B, 04473 Orono, ME
19. Nectar Cafe – York, Maine
Nectar Cafe in york is a popular food joint for locals. It’s one of Maine’s newest members on the list of donut shops. In 2020 it started its journey from a mobile coffee track in Vermont. Nectar Cafe is best known for serving hot coffee and breakfast to everyone.
The place serves fresh donuts and bagels with other dishes for breakfast every day. People love their combo meals with mix-and-match options. Fresh berries and fruits are used for baking pastries and donuts here. Fresh bagels with freshly brewed coffee from this cafe are a delicacy among locals.
- Hours: Sunday & Saturday: 08:00 a.m.-02:00 p.m., Monday & Wednesday- Friday: 07:30 a.m.- 01:30 p.m., Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Closed
- Contact: [email protected]
- Price: $2.65 per donut or bagel.
- Nearby Attractions: Nubble Lighthouse, Portsmouth Escape Room
- Nearby Parking: Adams Rd Parking, Worster Parking Lot.
Address: 244 US Route 1 York, Maine 03909
20. Frosty’s Donuts – Brunswick, ME
Frosty’s Donuts is a prominent donut shop by Bob and June Frost. Established in 1965, it has been serving the locals ever since. Various regional and national magazines, including Saveur and Downeast, have recognized this shop. In 2011, Nels and Shelby Omdal purchased this shop and brought new items to the shop.
This shop is known for its donuts and coffee. Among cake donuts are plain, sugared, glazed, frosting, maple frosting, and other varieties of vanilla donuts available. Several chocolate and blueberry donuts with various frosting and sprinkles are there. Various seasonal raised donuts are available, including ring-shaped, jelly-filled, and special flavors.
Bagels are also present on the menu, including Bacon Cheddar Jalapeño, Cinnamon raisin, Onion, Walnut Raisin, French Toast, and many other flavors. They are known for the best coffee, cold brew teas, hot chocolate, smoothies, assorted sodas, and nitrogen-infused coffee. For special occasions and events, catering service is available.
- Hours: Friday- Sunday: 07:00 a.m.- 02:00 p.m., Monday- Thursday: closed
- Contact: 207-729-4258
- Price: A single doughnut price starts from $2.50
- Nearby Attractions: Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Pejepscot History Center
- Nearby Parking: Union Street Long-Term Lot for Train/Bus Usage, 16 Station Ave Parking
Address: 54 Maine St. Brunswick, ME 04011
Find Doughnut Shops Near You
People mostly remember Maine as the state of mystery thriller writer Stephen King. It’s nothing compared to the delicious dishes and drinks available here, like the popular Maine Lobsters, Donuts, and Blueberry Pies. The donut shops in Maine serve freshly baked donuts and pastries every day.
Mainers are pretty picky about their food and drinks. They use fresh harvests for their desserts, like donuts and bagels. Vegan and organic options are available in almost every Doughnut shop in Maine. Mainers believe they have a special relationship with donuts, reflecting their daily diet and love for donuts.
- Best Furniture Stores In Maine
- Best Corn Mazes in MaineBest Chocolate Shops in Maine
- Best Garden Centers And Nurseries In Maine
- Best Chocolate Shops in Maine
- Best Boat Tours in Maine
- Best Skate Shops in Maine
- Best Shopping Outlets and Malls in Maine
- Best Bagel Shops in Maine
- Best Antique Stores in Maine
- Best Spas in Maine