The people of Maine love to flaunt their local culture and natural history in every art form possible. Whether it’s paper art, wood cutting, fabric art, yarns and wool, rock and mineral art, or painting, the art and craft supply stores in Maine cover all of them. That’s why Maine is called the land of art and craft. The artists and shop owners provide tutorials and training classes to teach their respective art forms.
Cities like Portland, Bangor, Brewer, Biddeford, Waterville, Belfast, Augusta, Ellsworth, Freeport, Brunswick, Auburn, Calais, Lewiston, Newport, Presque Isle, and Damariscotta are full of different craft stores. Locals love to visit these places to get art supplies. Most stores have their own studio to support local artists through exhibitions and sales.
If you’re looking for unique items to decorate your home or try your charms in some crafts and designs, these craft shops will help you through your journey.
List of 20 Best Art and Craft Supply Stores in Maine, USA
1. Michaels Arts And Crafts Store – Augusta Crossing, Maine
Michaels Arts and Crafts Store in Augusta is loaded with supplies for different art forms. Like needlework, fabric, paper, wood, and many more. This store is a one-stop solution for birthday, party, and wedding decorations.
People can find decorative essentials for Christmas, New Year, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and many other festivals. You can find products like indoor Christmas trees, decorative paper art, wood carvings, garlands, and many others in the store. Besides Augusta, Micheals has outlets in Scarborough, Bangor, and Biddeford.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 09:00 a.m.- 09:00 p.m., Sunday: 10:00 a.m.- 07:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: (207)707-9118
- Nearby Attractions: Capitol Park, Viles Arboretum, Hampton Inn, Marketplace, Cushnoc Archeological Site, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Bond Brook MTB parking, KRRT parking, State Office Building Parking Garage, etc.
Address: Augusta Crossing, 14 Crossing Way Ste 1, Augusta, ME 04330-6107.
2. Hobby Lobby – Elm Plaza, Waterville, Maine
Hobby Lobby has three stores in Maine and is one of the USA’s largest craft supply chains. Besides Waterville, there are Hobby Lobby outlets in Bangor and Auburn. It’s the best place to find different decorative items for any home. Whether it’s DIY, paper art, fabric and sewing, needlework, wood carving, or any other art form, the Hobby Lobby has covered them all.
The store has a vast home decor based on seasons, festivals, and occasions. Like Christmas, weddings, birthday parties, formal parties, Valentine’s Day, St Patrick’s Day, spring season, fall season, winter, and many more collections. You can find printed T-shirts, candles, ribbons, shelves, baskets, fabric, Lamps, and many more items in the store.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 09:00 a.m.-08:00 p.m., Sunday Closed
- Contact Phone Number: (207) 861-7981
- Nearby Attractions: WatervilleUSA/ Escape House, Elm Plaza, J F K Mall, Bull Moose, Skelling Gift Store, Waterville Commons.
- Nearby Parking: Elm Plaza, Seton Lot, The Parking Spot 1 & 2- (HOU Airport), Upper Athletic Lot.
Address: 130 Elm Plaza, Waterville, ME 04901.
3. JOANN Fabric and Crafts – Portland, Maine
Joann Fabric and Crafts Shop is a famous craft store chain in Maine. Besides Portland, there are outlets in Auburn and Topsham. This store is the best place to look for Sewing supplies, seasonal decorations, yarns, Cricut, floral decors, jewelry pieces, home decor items, and many other art and craft supplies.
People can also take art classes in the store. This store has an online website to give training classes for DIY art, paper cutting, sewing and needle art, and many others. You can also get some art kits from JOANN to create something of your own.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 09:00 a.m.- 09:00 p.m., Sunday: 10:00 a.m.- 06:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-871-0030
- Nearby Attractions: Pine Tree Shopping Center, The Crooked Miles Cafe, Crooked Cones at Rosemont.
- Nearby Parking: Thames St. Lot, Casco Bay Parking Garage, Ocean Gateway GaragePortland Parking Division.
Address: 1064 Brighton Ave, Portland, ME 04102-1030.
4. Artist & Craftsman Supply – Portland, Maine
Artist & Craftsman Supply is a popular art and painting supply chain in America. Besides Portland, this shop has an outlet in many popular cities in the USA.
People can look for every kind of paint, brushes, pencils, and other items for painting, Like Skatepads, pallets, watercolor papers, oil paints, charcoal pencils, acrylic paints, etc. Companies like Amsterdam Acrylics and Van Gogh oil paints are available here.
The best part is this store has famous artists on their payroll as employees. They also feature many internationally acclaimed painters. You can buy different paintings from these artists on the shop’s website.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 09:00 a.m.- 07:00 p.m., Sunday: 10:00 a.m.-06:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-253-7724
- Nearby Attractions: Deering Oaks, Portland Farmers Market, Deering Street Historic District, Big Sky Bread Company, Greater Portland Landmarks, Lisa-Maria’s Made in Maine, Greenhut Galleries.
- Nearby Parking: Spring Street Parking Garage, Arts District Garage, Portland Public Market Garage.
Address: 540 Deering Avenue, Portland, Maine, 04103, US.
5. Maine Craft Portland – Portland, Maine
Maine Craft Portland store is housed at the famous Mechanics Hall in downtown Portland. This local craft store is popular for its retail stock and art exhibitions in the gallery. The place promotes the artworks of local artists. Maine Craft organizes exhibitions and sales of paintings and other artworks to make a profit for them.
People can buy art supplies and paintings from the store’s official website. Exhibition and sales updates are provided here. Maine Craft Portland is a perfect place to experience the original art forms of Maine.
- Store Hours: Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Sunday & Monday- Closed.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-808-8184
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, Portland Headlight, Portland Museum of Art, Monument Square.
- Nearby Parking: 385 Congress St. Parking, Arts District Garage, Maine Medical Center Parking Garage.
Address: 521 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101.
6. The Art Mart – Congress Street, Portland, Maine
The Art Mart is across Congress Street from Maine College of Art in Portland. The store is a perfect place to buy art and craft supplies for students, artists, and hobbyists. People can enjoy a hot coffee from the cafe shop within the store while shopping here.
- Store Hours: Sunday- Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: (207) 775-4244
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Museum of Arts, Maine Historical Society, the Wadsworth- Longfellow House, Western PromenadeState Theatre.
- Nearby Parking: 385 Congress St. Parking, Maine Medical Center Parking Garage.
Address: The Art Mart, 517 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101.
7. PortFiber – Cove Street, Portland, ME
PortFibre at Cove Street is a fiber art shop in Portland. You can find everything related to felting, spinning, knitting, weaving, crocheting, and dyeing. Casey is a Mainer through and through and has been an avid knitter for decades. She dabbles in spinning and weaving, among other crafts.
Portland Fiber Gallery & Weaving Studio was the shop’s name under the previous owner. Customers can also take part in workshops taught by local fiber artists. Casey believes fiber connects the past and present to our ancestors and the land. If nothing else, stop by to touch some fiber and soak in all the colors!
- Store Hours: Wednesday- Saturday: 11:00 a.m.-05:00 p.m., Sunday- Tuesday: closed.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-780-1345
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Head Light, Bug Light, International Cryptozoology Museum, Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine.
- Nearby Parking: Ocean Gateway Garage, Portland Parking Division.
Address: 50 Cove St, Portland, ME 04101.
8. Dollar Tree – Maine Mall Road, South Portland, ME
Dollar Tree is a bulk order supplier based in Maine. With four outlets in Portland, This supply store also has outlets in Biddeford and Windham. Besides art and craft supplies, people can also check their home decor, glass wares, cookware, personal care products, home and office supplies, pet supplies, and food supplies.
The best part about Dollar Tree is everything comes within a low budget and huge stock. From candles, different acrylic and oil paints, fabrics, paper cutting, and wood carving tools, the store has a huge collection of everything you need for arts and crafts.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 09:00 a.m.-09:00 p.m., Sunday: 09:00 a.m.- 08:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-747-6014
- Nearby Attractions: Hannaford Plaza, Mall side Plaza, Build-A-Bear Workshop, Diversions Puzzles & Games, etc.
- Nearby Parking: The Maine Mall- Macy’s West, The Home Depot Parking Lot.
Address: 198 Maine Mall Rd Suite 1, South Portland, ME, 04106-2305 US.
9. The Mix – Maine Street, Brunswick, Maine
The Mix is a unique craft supply store at Brunswick. The store is housed in a beautiful wooden cottage on Maine Street. Customers love their collection of handmade bracelets, cards, paint supplies, fabrics, and other products.
- Store Hours: Monday- Thursday: 10:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m., Friday- Saturday: 10:00 a.m.-05:00 p.m., Sunday- 11:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: (207) 725-2271.
- Nearby Attractions: Androscoggin Swinging Bridge, Bowdoin College of Museum & Art, etc.
- Nearby Parking: University of Southern Maine Parking Garage, Merrymeeting Dog Park Parking.
Address: 53 Maine Street, Brunswick, ME 04011.
10. Salt Bay Art Supply – Damariscotta, Maine
Salt Bay Art Supply is a hidden gem of Damariscotta. Over a decade ago, Carol Jaeger opened this small art and painting supply shop on the second floor of Maine Street Center, Damariscotta. People love the collection of different paints in this shop.
- Store Hours: Monday- Friday: 10:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m., Saturday & Sunday: Closed
- Contact Phone Number: 207.563.8377
- Nearby Attractions: Pemaquid Point LightHouse, Hamilton Audubon Sanctuary, Whaleback Shell Midden, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Park & Ride, Kuhn Parking Lot, The Garage.
Address: 458 Main Street, Damariscotta, Maine 04543.
11. Claudette’s Craft Supply – Berwick, Maine
Claudette’s Craft Supply store in Berwick is a popular name among locals. The store was established more than three decades ago. People love the floral decors available here. Home decor, paint, kitchen, cleaning, and DIY craft supplies are also available here. You can also order over the phone.
- Store Hours: Tuesday- Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Sunday & Monday: closed.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-698-1488
- Nearby Attractions: Hamilton House, Vaughan Woods State Park, Orris Falls Conservation Area, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Memorial Field Parking, Parking for Orris Falls Conservation Area, Extra Space Storage, etc.
Address: 9 Laurel Ln, Berwick, ME, United States, Maine 03901.
12. Creative Arts Center – Brewer, Maine
Creative Arts Studio started its journey in 1956 as Smith’s Ceramics. This clay art store changed its name and relocated to Brewer in 2009. It’s a family-owned business and one of a kind in Maine. People can buy clay figurines and learn this art form, too.
There is a studio with several clay wheels in the studio. You can also rent the wheels if you have experience. The owners also organize women’s night in the studio, where ladies can bring and finish their unfinished artwork at any time.
- Store Hours: Tuesday- Friday: 09:00 a.m.-09:00 p.m., Saturday: 09:00 a.m.-04:00 p.m., Sunday: 11:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m., Monday- closed.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-945-3969
- Nearby Attractions: Brewer Riverwalk, Maine Discovery Museum, The Stephen & Tabitha King Foundation, Zillman Art Museum, Creative Arts Centre.
- Nearby Parking: 54 61-97 Colombia St Garage, 77 Exchange St Parking, Pickering Square Parking Garage, etc.
Address: 54 Wilson St Brewer, ME 04412.
13. Caravan Beads – Portland, Maine
Caravan Beads started its journey as a small inventory on Barry and Jean’s Sun porch. Together with their neighbor Joe and Carolyn, they started this business. It’s a large Beads and crystal supply store in Portland with several clients nationwide.
People can also learn Beads art here. The owners organize regular classes and workshops for beginners, kids, students, and locals. You can order their jewelry, crystal decors, beads, kits and tools, C-Lon cords, and many other items at wholesale prices.
- Store Hours: Saturday- Sunday: 11:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m., weekdays: closed for construction.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-761-2503, 800-230-8941
- Nearby Attractions: Portland Museum of Art, International Cryptozoology Museum, Fort Allen Park, Deering Oaks.
- Nearby Parking: 192-234 Vaughan St Parking, UNE Bishop St Parking Lot, etc.
Address: 915 Forest Ave, Portland, Maine 04103.
14. The Craft Shop – Windham, Maine
The Craft Shop is a three-decade-old craft supply store in Windham offering the taste of the true culture of Maine. The owners of this shop, David and Donna, relocated this shop to the famous 110-year-old Mayberry farm in 1998.
This place is the perfect spot to buy small gifts, unique furniture, handwoven baskets, slate, handicraft items, caning and basket weaving supplies, and many artistic items. This place’s home decor and seasonal decor collections are worth every penny.
- Store Hours: January- March: Open by Appointment Only. April- December: Tuesday- Saturday 09:30 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Sunday, Monday- Closed.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-892-0001
- Nearby Attractions: Seacoast Adventure, Donnabeth Lippman Park, Babb’a Covered Bridge, The Little MeetingHouse, Windham Mall, Tassel Top Park, etc.
- Nearby Parking: 27-39 Cresent St Garage, Portland Transportation Center Parking Lot, etc.
Address: The Craft Shop, 597 Roosevelt Trail, Windham, Maine 04062.
15. Shirley’s Yarns Crafts & Gifts – Hancock, Maine
Shirley’s Yarns Craft & Gifts shop is a family-owned business in Hancock. Shirley and Dick Jones have been running this business with the help of their daughter and granddaughter for many decades. They believe in providing the best yarns and yarn crafts to every local of Maine.
People can buy the best yarns from national and international brands besides enrolling in knitting and yarn weaving training programs here. You can also enroll in their yarn loyalty programs to get early offers.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 03:00 p.m., Sunday: Closed.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-667-7158
- Nearby Attractions: Tidal Falls Preserve, Old Pond Railway Trail, Timber Tina’s Great Maine Lumberjack Show, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Down East Sunrise Trail Parking Lot, Ellsworth Harbour Parking Lot, etc.
Address: 677 US-1, Hancock, ME 04640, USA.
16. The Rock and Art Shop – Bangor, Maine
This family-owned business started its journey almost a decade ago. Anthony, Amanda, and Annette opened this shop to do business out of their love for natural history, plants, and local artisans.
The Rock and Art Shop in Bangor is the perfect place to seek rock and mineral arts, different crystallite stones, natural fossils found in Maine, crystal beads, and crystal jewelry. The shop has two more outlets in Ellsworth and Bar Harbor.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 10:00 a.m., 06:00 p.m., Sunday: 10:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-947-2205
- Nearby Attractions: Paul Bunyan Statue, Cascade Park, Bangor Waterfront, Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park, Broadway Park, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Republic Parking, Bangor International Airport Parking, Maine Street Garage, etc.
Address: 36 Central St. Bangor, ME 04401.
17. Merchants On the Corner – Maine St., Presque Isle, ME
Merchants On The Corner in Presque Isle is a perfect place to find different gifts for everyone. You can buy old designer doors, beautiful handmade soaps, handpainted greeting cards, old furniture, maple syrup, old vinyl, records, local wines, and beers here.
- Store Hours: Monday- Friday: 09:30 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Saturday: 09:30 a.m.- 01:00 p.m., Sunday: Closed.
- Contact Phone Number: 207-764-1255
- Nearby Attractions: Aroostook State Park, Northern Maine Museum of Science, Double Eagle II Balloon Site, Nordic Heritage Center, Presque Isle Historical Society, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Park and Ride, Northern Maine Regional Airport.
Address: 394 Main St, Presque Isle, ME, United States, Maine.
18. Fiddlehead Artisan Supply – Maine Street, Belfast, ME
Fiddlehead Artisan Supply in Belfast is a popular fabric art and craft store in Belfast. This store is the best place to buy fabrics from local and international brands.
Customers love their stock of weaving, knitting, and sewing tools. The owners also provide tutorials on different sewing techniques and styles. Different knitting kits and fabric products, like aprons, blankets, and soft toys, are also available in this store.
- Store Hours: Monday- Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Sunday: 10:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m.
- Contact Phone Number: (207) 338-8422
- Nearby Attractions: Moose Point State Park, Hills to Sea Trail- Belfast Trail Head, Fort Point State Park, Waterfall Arts, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Free Public Parking, Rockland Breakwater /Light Parking, Verona Boat Landing.
Address: 64 Main Street, Belfast, Maine 04915.
19. Lupine Cottage – Seaport Ave, Belfast, Maine
Lupin Cottage in Belfast cooperates with over 50 craftsmen, artists, and artisans. It’s a great place to buy art forms based on local culture. Lupine Cottage has them all, whether it’s a gift for someone, home decor, clothing, or food. The artists here use the best quality products for their art forms.
- Store Hours: Wednesday- Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 04:00 p.m., Sunday- Tuesday: 0pen by appointment
- Contact Phone Number: 207-338-4300
- Nearby Attractions: Penobscot Narrows Bridge, Moose Point State Park, United Farmer’s Market of Maine, Hills To Sea Trail- Belfast Trail Head, etc.
- Nearby Parking: Free Public Parking, Rockland Breakwater /light Parking, etc
Address: 7 Old Searsport Ave, Rte 1, Belfast, Maine 04915.
20. Handiwork Studio + Market – Pleasant Ave, Portland, ME
Handiwork Studio + Market is a unique initiative in Portland. It’s a creative community welcoming everyone to enjoy solace in art. They teach and train people in different art forms and sell crafts of local artists.
People can get different home decor items, jewelry, paperwork, wood crafts, and fabric crafts in the market. The studio has a beautiful, stress-free environment to encourage everyone to participate in art classes.
- Store Hours: Tuesday- Friday: 10:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Saturday: 09:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m., Sunday: 12:00 p.m.- 04:00 p.m., Monday: closed.
- Contact Phone Number: (207) 613-9639
- Nearby Attractions: Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, Fort Allen Park, Portland Waterfront Historic District, Major Charles Loring Memorial Park, The Escape Room.
- Nearby Parking: 274- 298 Marginal Way Parking, 192-234 Vaughan St Parking, Sp+ Parking, University of Southern Maine Parking Garage.
Address: 199 Pleasant Ave, Portland, Maine 04103.
Find Art and Craft Supply Stores Near You
Maine is considered the hub of arts and crafts. Almost every city in this state has many art and craft supply stores and shops. These stores have studios to support local artists through sales. The craft Stores in Maine are the best places to look out for local art forms like bead jewelry, decorative items, seasonal decorations, scrapbooks, handmade soaps, handpainted cards, paintings, handwoven sweaters and dresses, and many more. People can take part in training seasons from locals provided in these stores to learn more about the art form.
- Best Corn Mazes in Maine
- Best Garden Centers And Nurseries In Maine
- Best Chocolate Shops in Maine
- Best Boat Tours in Maine
- Best Skate Shops in Maine
- Best Shopping Outlets and Malls in Maine
- Best Antique Stores in Maine
- Best Spas in Maine
- Best Dance Clubs and Venues in Maine
- Best Mini Golf Courses In Maine